4.17.2009

michigander.

I moved to Michigan a little over 3 years ago. I have lived in 5 different states, and moved 6 times before the age of 10. And yet I have never felt such a strong loyalty to a place I call home as I do now. I love the state of Michigan and the city of Royal Oak where Brad and I have made our home.

I had this conversation with my Mom on a recent road trip to Indianapolis to visit my cousin. Indianapolis, by the way, is one of the places I used to live. We were discussing how interesting it is that in 3 short years I have developed such strong feelings for where I live. I moved to Royal Oak having never even heard of the city, and knowing nobody. I feel very proud of Michigan, and I take serious offense when someone says something negative about the state... especially when they've never stepped foot over the border.

I'm not exactly sure why I feel this way about Michigan more than any other humble abode, but the plain fact is: I am glad Brad and I ended up here. Michigan is a beautiful state with big cities, small towns, farms, beaches, hills, lakes, and fields-a-plenty. It has adorable little towns, such as Chelsea, big-city life and entertainment in Detroit, and everything in between.

Maybe it's because I moved so much, and having seen lots of other places, I know Michigan is a pretty great place. Or maybe it's the people I've met and the friendships I've made, or the fact that I own my first home here. Either way, I have enjoyed becoming a Michigander and look forward to exploring more of this beautiful state.

No comments:

Post a Comment