8.10.2009

restaurant review: mind body & spirits


I had the opportunity to visit Mind Body & Spirits in downtown Rochester, Michigan for a work event last week. I knew very little about the establishment prior to dining there, and I can honestly say I was blown away. The atmosphere feels more like a spa than a restaurant, with serene colors, fabrics and music. The menu features an abundance of organic and local items, as well as a plenty of vegetarian items. The non-vegetarian dishes include free-range and grass-fed organic beef, free-range chicken, and wild-caught Alaskan fish. Organic beer, wine and spirits top the drink menu, and dinner prices range from $10 to $25.

The most progressive part of the restaurant, in my opinion, is their use of green technology and construction choices for renovating the 1890's building. From solar power to geo-thermal heating and cooling, they didn't hold back when it comes to thinking about the environment. The restaurant features sustainable materials such as bamboo and cork flooring, VOC-free paints, and green roofing. They also have an on site greenhouse, and compost as much as possible. My co-workers and I were given a tour of the restaurant following our meal, where we got to see the greenhouse and learn about the concept behind Mind Body & Spirits. I guarantee I will be returning for another fantastic meal and dining experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment