8.21.2009

challenge.

My mother and I have decided to embark on an interesting challenge – going one full year without purchasing any clothing item for ourselves. That means no clothes, purses, shoes, jewelry, etc. Using inspiration from my Aunt Ellen who just finished her year of frugality, and the idea that less is more, we’ve decided to give it a go.


Because of the current economic condition, we hear a lot about learning to love the stuff we already have, living with less, and realizing that owning expensive stuff doesn’t make us any happier. All around us people are cutting back, from swapping their morning latte for a cup of joe, to having a “staycation” rather than a vacation, to canceling their gym memberships. Frugality runs in my nature, so it hasn’t been difficult for me to always go straight to the sale rack, and to TRY and buy only what I need – a lot easier said than done (for example, I just spend $50 on a pair of Gap jeans I definitely don’t need).


This will be a challenge (and I love a good challenge) because I am one that loves to shop. Whether it’s for a new dress or a new blender, I love going out and looking at all the shiny, new, pretty things. So now I’ll have more time to do other enjoyable things.


One of my favorite blogs, Zen Habits, has an article called “Love Life, Not Stuff.” The author has a great point in saying that at the end of our lives, we’ll remember the people we loved and spent time with and the great experiences we had. We won’t remember what color our couch was, how big our TV was, or how many pair of jeans we had.


So, starting September 1st, we will no longer be purchasing anything for ourselves. I think my willpower will be pretty strong, but we’ll see what happens on Black Friday when I’m usually standing outside the department store with my Mom at 4:00 a.m. in 20 degree weather waiting to raid the sales. Wish us luck!


I'd also like to give a quick shout-out to my grandmother, known to all as Mee Mee. Today is her 90th birthday, and she is an amazing woman who I admire in every way. Happy Birthday and I Love You Mee Mee!

No comments:

Post a Comment