8.26.2009

to be, or not to be.

I have recently found myself at a serious turning point. To be a runner, or not to be a runner. I started running my senior year of college, with the goal of completing a 5k race. In April of 2005, I completed that goal with my best friend, and it felt amazing. But when it was over, running slowly slipped away from my to-do list.


Fast forward 3 years. With the encouragement of my friends and a new gym membership, I decided to give running another shot with a different 5k to look forward to: the Smoke the Turkey Thanksgiving 5k in Toledo, Ohio that several of my friends were participating in. Again, I was able to accomplish my goal of finishing the 5k. And again, I took a serious break from running when it was over.


Then, last spring I agreed to a third 5k with a large group of co-workers. The Race for the Cure was held last May, and I had my best time ever. I was super proud of myself, and it felt amazing to finish the race beating my goal time. But it is currently 5 months later, and I haven’t been running. I’ve replaced pounding the pavement with yoga and elliptical work-outs, and every time I enter the gym I stay away from the treadmill like it’s the plague.


I look at other runners with envy. How did they find the motivation to go for a run? How do people run almost every single day? Is something wrong with me that I have no motivation? Is it normal to not be a consistent runner? I started thinking maybe it’s just not for me. Maybe I’m just not a runner. Maybe I just need to give up, so I can move on and do other activities.


My husband and I were at breakfast Saturday morning, and I started to share my dilemma with him. To my surprise, he announced that he’d like to start running and complete this year’s Smoke the Turkey 5k with me. What a renewed sense of spirit that gave me! Just knowing that he has the desire to run with me makes me want to lace up my sneakers and hit the pavement pronto!


So after all of this, I think I’ve realized it’s okay to have hills and valleys with your desire and motivation to do a certain activity. If you really and truly enjoy it, you’ll find new ways to be motivated and get through those times when you’d rather do the laundry, dishes, and vacuum before stepping on a treadmill. Maybe I’ll go through life not being a consistent I-have-to-run-at-least-3-times-a-week-or-I’ll-die runner. Maybe I’ll go through life running when I want to, and when I don’t, replacing it with other activities I find enjoyable—yoga, bike riding, tennis, or just playing with my dog. So I have my husband to thank for this revelation. Thanksgiving Day 5k—here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment